Translate

Monday, February 13, 2017

Something Old, Something New

Do you like to try new foods?
We do!

Do you like to try your hand at cooking new foods?
I do!

Tonight's Menu:

Curried Masala Chicken
Saffron Rice
Onion Bhaji
Roasted Asparagus

Now, I've made Chicken Curry many times, and a few different ways. We love curry here. I've also made Saffron rice, but tried a different method tonight...think I'll stick with my own way.

I've roasted Asparagus many, many times. Roasted vegetables are probably my favorite way to eat them. Roasting just brings out the natural sweetness without removing any of the natural flavors or dispensing with the flavors all-together (depending on how you cook them). With the exception of potatoes for a mash, I don't "boil" vegetables.

Onion Bhaji is something I've eaten, but never cooked before. Tonight, we had a real treat. I cooked something new and we all reaped the benefit. And what a yummy benefit it was! Take a look and give it a try - it's super easy.

The recipe I used is found at A Saucy Kitchen.  I made slight changes, by doubling the amount of Cumin, Turmeric, Chili (even added some crushed Red Chilis) and Salt. We like our food to be full of flavor and thought these would do well to punch it up a bit.


Ingredients out and ready to get started. (Oops Cilantro isn't out)

Onions, sliced thin and separated.

Mixed the batter (it is thick) 

First round of frying (original recipe) 

All done, after adding more of the spices and salt. 

Dinner, ready to serve! 

Curry Chicken, Roasted Asparagus
Saffron Rice, Onion Bhaji

1 comment: