Translate

Tuesday, March 17, 2015

Being a Passenger

1. I'm a control-freak.
2. I like to drive.
3. Most of the roads in the U.K. are very narrow.

These three things make it difficult for me to be a good passenger in the car on this trip. I trust my husband's intentions to keep us safe. This, does not improve my ability to be a good passenger.

Today, we had a couple times where he went off the road. This isn't new, he's done it quite a lot. Usually because larger trucks are taking their lane and part of ours as we pass going opposite directions. Today was no different, but these couple of times of going off the road were quite questionable of how they would turn out. These roads don't have wide shoulders like we're used to in the areas we drive in the states. Most places on these roads don't have more than a 4-inch margin past the edge line of the lane. Then the ground is broken up or sometimes doesn't exist past the road.

Today, the couple times we actually drove off the road unintentionally (I hope), were rough edges, big holes and dips that pull your car further off the road which is a preface for tragedy. Fortunately, my husband is good in reaction to this kind of thing and each time skillfully returned the car to the lane and we were safe.

Today, I still am not a good passenger. I'm still a control freak. I still like to drive and the roads haven't changed here in the U.K. However, today, I trust my husband's driving skill even more than I did yesterday.



2 comments:

  1. Although, when the roads are 1.8 lanes wide, and the truck decides to take 1.2, it's a narrow squeeze and a little unnerving.

    My favorite is when you're on the outside of a turn, and the truck that is coming only has his wheels in his lane, but the cab of the truck and top half of the trailer in yours!!!

    Overall, mostly okay here. It's nice to be out driving and letting you snap cool from-the-road pictures!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know! When the truck is leaning into our lane, it looks like it's going to just topple right over on top of us!

      I am thoroughly enjoying taking pics while driving. Not sure I'm doing as well at it as you do, but I think we'll end up with some pretty good ones.

      Delete