Translate

Wednesday, March 25, 2015

Budapest - Libby's View

Budapest was the place I was most apprehensive about visiting. Would it be a safe place for me to walk around by myself to sightsee? Is it safe, period? Things like this.

I feel safe here. That doesn't mean I'm careless, but I don't feel that underlying threat you can often experience when traveling.

The city (cities) is beautiful! The Danube separates the Buda and Pest (pronounced pesht) sides. The Buda side has more French and Vienna architecture influences while the Pest side has more Slavic Baroque influences. If you like architecture at all, this is the place to be. Even their markets are beautiful buildings.

We've seen little bits of it around our hotel each day since we arrived, but today, I really went walking to see more. And, I also enjoyed a riverboat sightseeing tour that provided so much information, there's no way I can remember it all.

I would be able to generically categorize the people as friendly, but they aren't unfriendly either. They're just.... there. They don't make way when passing on the sidewalks, you do. They seldom make eye contact and if they do and you smile, they might, only might slightly grin back. I don't take this as unfriendly, but rather a little sad. They're very reserved. Unless they're out partying in the evenings. Then they get a little raucous.

We've had fabulous food here, whether it be at an outdoor stand or a high-end sit-down restaurant, the food tastes great. All of it. At least, what we've had so far. We've tried the Chicken Paprikash, Goulash, Veal Stew, Savory Crepes, Dobos Cake, Kremes, Stuffed Cabbage, Goose Liver, Strudels, Cheese Noodles, Fried Cheese with Blueberry Jam, Sausages, Trotters, Sourkraut, Red Cabbage and Pizza. Nothing was disappointing.

Last night we stopped for gelato. We can get gelato in the states, no problem. But, this place, it's special. Gelarto Rosa offers a variety of gelato flavors and your choices are small (2 flavors), medium (3 flavors) or large (4 flavors) on a cone. Tim had the Coffee and the Pitachio - yummy. I had the Chocolate and the Panna Cotta with Salted Butter Caramel - to die for good! The flavors are terrific, the texture is perfect, but the presentation is over-the-top fantastic! They form each cone of gelato into a rose. If you're ever in Budapest, you must give them a try!

Well enough from me, here's some pics. I hope you enjoy Budapest from my view.



















No comments:

Post a Comment